Re: Panic: Use-after-free in bfe

From: Tai-hwa Liang <avatar_at_mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:55:48 +0800 (CST)
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 pcasidy_at_casidy.com wrote:
> On 16 Mar, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
>>
>>    Not sure about the reason of the interrupt storm you observed; however,
>> the link down problem sounds like some sort of switch incompatibility to me.
>> I remembered that someone said that manually tweak the media type *may*
>> be a possible workaround(i.e. "ifconfig bfe0 media 10baseT/UTP" or
>> "ifconfig bfe0 media 100baseTX).
>>
>>    Does direct connect through crossover cable to another computer work
>> for you?
>
> Sorry for the delay, had to deal with another network problem.
>
> I performed the tests you suggested and here are the results:
>
> I used a crossover cable to link my laptop and my server.
> The server is equipped with a <RealTek 8169S Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet>
> configured as autoselect.
>
> I tried to force the media both 10 and 100 on both card and the only
> case i had the Broadcom card active was when I set the server NIC to
> 100. But in that case, the RealTek NIC was not active.
> Maybe I have to change the NIC on the server :(

   I suggest that using other NIC rather than RealTek to test this(I have
tried this gigabit card once on my firewall box and it didn't seem to
able to co-exist with another two NIC's, if_vr and if_rl).

   Though it still sounds like that we might miss some magic register
settings related to link speed negotiation. I'm still curious: does
your card work with Linux(any Live CD such like KNOPPIX is enough)?

> The other tests I did besides the previous one was to boot in Safe mode
> and to unload usb.
>
> Now, I don't know what to do.

   Me neither.... Maybe you would like to file another PR and have it
Cc'ed to wpaul_at_ and dmlb_at_ since they are more familiar with if_bfe than I am.

> Thanks for the fix anyway ;)

   No problem.  Thank you for doing these tests and bringing this up
to our attention.

--
Cheers,
Tai-hwa Liang