Re: Can't change partition table anymore

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:58:16 +0200
In message <200504060835.j368ZB2i009939_at_dungeon.home>, Stephen McKay writes:
>On Wednesday, 6th April 2005, "Poul-Henning Kamp" wrote:

>As a "self described wizard", I know which sectors I can write safely.
>Protect the novices all you like, but don't prevent me from doing
>interesting/extraordinary things.

You're not being prevented from shooting your foot off, you just
have to push the right button to disable the vertical shot prevention
feature.

>>So for all I care, this discussion is over until somebody comes up
>>with a patch we can all agree on.
>
>"Harrumph!" he said, and stalked from the room. :-)

Yes, in fact, I find the W/S ratio [1] in this thread to be waaay
over my workplace safety threshold.

>I'm not yet convinced that this whole thing is not just a bug.  I'm off
>to read some manuals and some code...

It is in fact a carefully designed behaviour of GEOM and if you can come
up with a better way of doing it you are more than welcome to submit
working code.

Poul-Henning

[1] That's Whine/Signal ratio in case you wondered.