Re: Serial console install

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 06:23:26 -0500
Sławek Żak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask what's the reason behind requiring a keyboard during
> FreeBSD install. Headless configuration is the most common in
> datacenters and toying with KVM and VGA cable is often a no-no
> (distance in the issue my case).
>
> Therefore why don't we introduce a prompt in the CD loader saying:
>
> "Press any key to install from video console..."
>
> Now wait 30s. If no key is pressed boot with console=comconsole.
>
> It would make my life sooo much easier and won't confuse noobs too much.

Maybe so, but then people who do have video consoles plugged in would have to hit a key to keep going.

Why not just read this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-advanced.html

Or even:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.3-RELEASE/floppies/README.TXT

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.