Re: Serial console install

From: Marian Hettwer <MH_at_kernel32.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:18:15 +0200 (CEST)
On Do, 7.04.2005, 14:58, Gavin Atkinson sagte:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 13:48 +0200, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>> Isn't it possible to send out the output of FreeBSD's bootloader to VGA
>> and serial console ?
>> This would be perfect. We could have a point in our bootmenu to hit a
>> specific key for serial console install, or for VGA based install.
>> But I believe for the time being it's not possible to have the same
>> output
>> on console and vga.
>
> See the patch associated with PR kern/66425 - which basically makes the
> -D dual-console support work.

really ?
This sounds perfect.
I'll check that out at my testing machine at home. Luckily I have a
monitor connected _and_ a console server ;-)

> I've been using it on all my machines now for about a year without
> problems.  When I first floated the idea there were a lot of people who
> wanted this support, but since writing it there's been very little
> interest in incorporating it into the tree :(

I wonder why ...
I'll raise my hand for: Incorporate this change if the code is clean! I'd
really like to have this feature :-)
(Perhaps someone from -core is reading this thread ;-) )

> Not that any of this helps your need at the moment, but hopefully it'll
> stop you from having to write any code yourself :)

I'll give it a try under RELENG_5 and perhaps -CURRENT ...

- Marian