Re: GEOM architecture and the (lack of) need for foot-shooting

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:22:45 +0200
Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru> writes:
> I completely agree! Disk partition table is not the thing supposed
> to be able to affect already booted OS behaviour. When OS is booted
> and read disk partition table one time, it must completely forget
> about disk partition table and use in-core partition table only
> instead. Even someone fill disk partition table with zeroes, nothing
> should be changed. It is the way like it always works.

Please try not to contradict yourself too much, I might get wiplash
trying to follow your argument.

This whole discussion started because someone wanted to change the
type of a partition from Windows to FreeBSD, and you have been arguing
(quite loudly) that it should be possible to do so without needing to
override GEOM's failsafes.  Now you are saying that it should not be
possible at all, because the kernel should ignore changes to the
partition table.

Please make up your mind...

DES
--