Re: GEOM architecture and the (lack of) need for foot-shooting

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:40:48 +0400
On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 04:22:45PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Please try not to contradict yourself too much, I might get wiplash
> trying to follow your argument.
>
> This whole discussion started because someone wanted to change the
> type of a partition from Windows to FreeBSD, and you have been arguing
> (quite loudly) that it should be possible to do so without needing to
> override GEOM's failsafes.  Now you are saying that it should not be
> possible at all, because the kernel should ignore changes to the
> partition table.
>
> Please make up your mind...

I don't see any contradiction. Please free your mind. It is KERNEL which
should ignore changes at the table on the DISK. I never pretend to change
live KERNEL partition table, all I want from the start is to change
partition table on the DISK. But KERNEL prevents me to change DISK
partition table. My point that DISK partition table editing must be
unrestricted while KERNEL partition table may be restricted, and two
tables, KERNEL and DISK ones, must be separated.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/