Re: Serial console install

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:06:41 -0400
On Thursday 07 April 2005 08:25 am, Sławek Żak wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 1:50 PM, Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> wrote:
> >You must have missed the second link - it answers your questions
>
> completely.  You can >also build your own images with whatever setup
> you'd like, and/or have that image used via >PXE install.
>
> So the options I have are:
>
> 1. Boot from CDROM with keyboard plugged in, wait for the beep and
> press 6 blindfolded then enter boot -h.
> 2. Boot from floppy and flip the diskettes until the output is
> directed to the serial console.
> 3. Build my own PXE image.
>
> Doh. Lots of work. I was asking for a small and very helpful change in
> the boot loader. Floppies are so 1980's. Getting my butt to the server
> room and plugging the keyboard in is a little better, but still far
> from the convenience of putting the CD in and forgetting the problem.

You can take a current CD-ROM image, copy its contents to /foo.
Edit /foo/boot/loader.conf to add 'set console=comconsole', run mkisofs
on /foo to build a new CD image, burn that image onto a disc and then boot
that.  If you want to go the PXE route that is very easy to setup and you
just edit the boot/loader.conf in your NFS root to add the comconsole line.