Re: Anyone working on V4L2 for BSD?

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:20:51 -0700
> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:31:26 +0200
> From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:
>

> > I'm considerring it.. It looks quite doable. (assuming we can get
> > compatible include files
> > without copyright problems.)
> >
> > For compatibility we'd probably want to keep all the V4L prefixes etc.
> >
> > Is anyone else playing with this?
>
> There was a discussion about something like this a while ago... a, I see you
> participated in it too:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2003-July/000328.html
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jmg/videobsd.html

This is something I would love to see. FreeBSD being limited to various
forms of Brooktree video chips is a serious limitation in this day and
age. I routinely have to tell people who want to use our H.323
conferencing system from a laptop that they are OOL. :-( And even
desktop users are annoyed that they can't use their (already purchased)
USB cameras and that they have to get a camera with video output and a
WinTV card.

Of course, I am still fighting a battle with getting recent GnomeMeeting
to work on V5, but I do make a bit of progress on this from time to time
when I have a chance to work on it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)