Re: How does one know how many thread a process owns?

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:55:26 +0300
On 2005-04-16 17:21, David Xu <davidxu_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>I realize that top isn't an exact science, but I find that
>>approximations are generally a bad idea. I am in favor of axing the
>>useless CPU column and reclaiming some useful screen space for the
>>others... :)

I considered that, but didn't know when or if the CPU column does make
sense.

> CPU column is not very useful when displaying process and thread
> count, if it is only useful if it is displaying individual thread
> which is activated by 'H' key.

Thanks for that.  This is good to know :-)

Unfortunately, the current implementation of top makes it absurdly
difficult to set up different "fields" for each mode that top supports;
but it's ok, I'm already looking at ways to make all the visible columns
configurable by the current mode.