kernel.old not used any longer?

From: Steve Ames <steve_at_energistic.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:30:57 -0500 (EST)
I just noticed yesterday that there hasn't been an update to /boot/kernel.old
since sometime in August. Yesterday was my first bad kernel on -CURRENT and
I fell back to /boot/kernel.old/kernel and was suprised that it was that old.

When did 'make kernel' stop copying /boot/kernel to /boot/kernel.old? It still
seems to have that behavior on 5.X. I checked UPDATING but didn't see anything
on this behavior change. Nor could I find a knob in make.conf.

Is this user error somewhere?

-Steve