Re: library problems with -CURRENT

From: Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <seb_at_struchtrup.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:44:25 +0200
Gary Jennejohn wrote:

>Lars Engels writes:
>

>>Hi all!
>>
>>I just upgraded my 5.4-PRERELEASE notebook to -CURRENT.
>>Compilation and installation went fine, but when I try to start firefox,
>>gkrellm and even portupgrade I get the following error message:
>>/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1: Undefined symbol
>>"i386_get_gsbase"
>>

>It's not in UPDATING, but a change was recently made (can't say exactly
>when) which affects %gs/%fs. If you're using -current then you really
>should watch the commits, too!
>
>You'll have to recompile these ports, I suspect. Interestingly, my old
>gkrellm still runs just fine with a new world from yesterday, but I had
>to reinstall transcode.

This was introduced by libpthread (and libkse, I think) using
i386_(get/set)_(gs/fs)base in libc
The old libc.5 doesn't have this functions implemented and is no longer
rebuild as we're using libc.6 now.
This affects all ports which are still using libc.5 and libpthread/libkse.
The easiest approach is probably to rebuild all your ports so that they
are using libc.6
Anyway, libc.5 without pthreads/kse works fine on my system.

Maybe this should be placed into src/UPDATING?