Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:44:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Patrick Dung wrote:

> I have read the recent status report.
> IMHO, FreeBSD 5-stable is still not as stable as 4.x series. FreeBSD-5
> will have a short livetime when FreeBSD-6 comes.

Ah, the "word on the street"; the usual claims without facts to back them.

5.x's undue and unjust reputation is precisely one of the reasons why 6.x
is coming so soon. The other reasons have been outlined by Scott in a
string of emails. Search the archives, if you are interested.

If there is something you know about "5.x's stability" that we do not,
please go ahead and share it with us.

> May someone who work in large companies tell us their experience that
> FreeBSD 4 or 5 is installed for servers now, please?

At work, we have dozens of machines running 5.3 right now. In fact, my
work is drawing up plans to phase out our last handful of 4.x servers.

Cheers,
Andy