Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: /dev/null <null_at_dnswatch.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,
 I have been on FreeBSD since the start. As a hobby until 3.x where I
began to replace Winblows servers with FBSD. I stayed with 4.2 the longest.
I still have 2 servers running it. However, I decided to test 5.0-RC2 on a
lightly used server. My reason for the upgrade decision was the fact that
some of the applications I used in 4.x were a little immature, not as
rhobust, or as stable as I would prefer.
My upgrade path = tar cvgf /etc, /root, /var, /usr/home, /usr/local/etc,
and /usr/local/www. Then booting to the 5.0-RC2 CD and performing a "fresh"
install. Afterwhich I simply merged by backed-up settings and important
files. A little while later I used the same upgrade method to upgrade a
*heavily* used server. All seemed *mostly* O.K. But security issues
were reported. Attempts to go the "patch" route failed miserably. I also
found the security patch routes "intuitiveness" !> -1. The patches
clobbered my src files and so I decided to go a different route - I chose
to burn the 5.3-STABLE CD's, boot to #1 and choose "upgrade" from the
insrtallation routine(s). I did *NOT* attempt this before backing up the
important nodes listed above. Well, this route didn't turn out to be the
most ideal route. So I ultimately blew all the slices away and performed a
fresh install of 5.3-STABLE and merge my previous settings/ folders as
needed. All in all life on 5.x and the "upgrade" wasn't too bad. I will
say that there is ONE issue that I have found and have not yet solved. It
now takes at least 2 times longer to build any of the ports. Performance
in other areas seems to be lagging as well. I have since upgraded one of
the 2 servers to 5.4-RC2 and have been chasing 5.x ever since hoping to
find the performance issues will dissappear.

Just my experiences thus far FWIW.

-Chris