Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:58:02 -0500
On 04/24/05 18:29, /dev/null wrote:
> <snip>
>
> needed. All in all life on 5.x and the "upgrade" wasn't too bad. I will
> say that there is ONE issue that I have found and have not yet solved. It
> now takes at least 2 times longer to build any of the ports. Performance
> in other areas seems to be lagging as well. I have since upgraded one of
> the 2 servers to 5.4-RC2 and have been chasing 5.x ever since hoping to
> find the performance issues will dissappear.

If you are running a UP system, it is expected that 4.x will outperform
5.x in many situations due to the focus on SMP.  Optimizing
synchronization to increase performance is one of the main goals for 6.x
(see the recent work on critical sections, for example).  This will
allow us to scale well on SMP systems without pessimizing performance on
UP systems.

Another point to remember is that compilation times with GCC 3.4
(default for recent 5.x) are much longer than those with 2.95 (default
for 4.x), especially at higher optimization levels.  This is one of the
main reasons why it takes longer to compile a port.

That said, in what specific areas are you seeing performance regressions?

Jon