Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:05:23 -0400
At 01:55 PM 24/04/2005, Patrick Dung wrote:

>May someone who work in large companies tell us their experience that
>FreeBSD 4 or 5 is installed for servers now, please?

We have a number of RELENG_5 boxes in production. The ones with the highest
load are acting as avscanners (clamav, amavisd) and spamscanners (SA) as
well as one box for customers who enable TMDA on their mailboxes which can
really get punished. No problems at all.  These are busy boxes with all
sorts of bursty and sometimes sustained loads thrown on them.  They are
mostly CPU bound, but often busy with disk IO as well.  We are also
starting to deploy our managed firewall boxes for our customers on RELENG_5

The only problem I have run into is nfsd failing on some bonnie++ tests. e.g.

[3w-mobile]# bonnie++ -u root -s 4G -n 40 -d /mnt
Using uid:0, gid:0.
Writing a byte at a time...done
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading a byte at a time...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...Bonnie: drastic I/O error (rmdir):
Directory not empty
Cleaning up test directory after error.

[3w-mobile]# mount
/dev/twed0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/twed0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/twed0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/twed0s1f on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
10.1.1.1:/mnt on /mnt (nfs)
[3w-mobile]#