Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:14:59 -0700
On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:59:25PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >Measuring disk device performance (i.e. running a benchmark against
> >the bare device) and filesystem performance (writing to a filesystem
> >on the device) are very different things.
>
> I wish people would stop trying to deny that we have serious work in front
> of us to get the VFS and disk IO figures back to where they were before.
>
> there ARE slowdowns and I have seen it both with tests on teh basic
> hardware and throug the filesystems.  I don't know why this surproses
> people because we have still a lot of work to do in teh interrupt latency
> field for example, and I doubt that even PHK would say that there is no
> work left to do in geom.
> Where we are now is closing in on "feature complete". Now we need to
> profile and optimise.

OK, but note that I didn't deny anything, I only questioned whether
the OP was observing a real problem (he didn't mention disk I/O, or in
fact any specific claim) or whether it was a coloured perception based
on the (incorrect) assumption that gcc compilation speed was measuring
a performance loss in FreeBSD.

Kris