Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:23:42 -0700
On Apr 25, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:44:34AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>>> No, I'm not going to do it because of lack of knowledge, there are
>>> people who have more experience with it than me.
>>>
>> Well, as I said in another email, switching to GCC 4 just because of
>> dubious "25% faster" (faster at what?  compiling?  resulting generated
>> code?  crashing?) claims in the changelog is not a terribly good
>> reason =-)
>
> 25% faster to compile the code, not running it.

Not to pick on you, Kirill, but rather in general:

That entirely depends on the optimization level and the configuration.
I measured a small degradation (<5%) at -O3 on ia64. So, let's find
out how the 25% compile-time performance improvement was achieved before
we use it as an argument in any discussion, shall we?

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel_at_xcllnt.net