Re: boot banner project

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:09:53 -0500
/dev/null wrote:
> Hello any & all,
>  O.K. I feel I must preface this with an acknowledgment that I *know*
> this is a silly project *because* given the *incredibly* long uptimes
> that FreeBSD is known for. >>But<< for those *few* times when FreeBSDers
> see a boot screen, shouldn't it look really nice? Shouldn't also be able
> to reflect the Administrators tastes and personality? Well, this is the
> premise for my attempting this project. But before I start, I want to
> submit an RFC. So consider this an Request for comments. This is an
> attempt to create a Graphical boot screen that initially has the
> following layout:

If you want to pursue this project, more power to you! Personally, I
always liked the non graphics/colors boot process. It's especially nice
when you are running headless servers and monitor the boot process and
console messages via serial links.

Something you should take a look at though is the KGI for BSD projects.

http://wiki.daemon.li/moin.cgi/KGI

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com