Re: boot banner project

From: /dev/null <null_at_dnswatch.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
> /dev/null wrote:
>> Hello any & all,
>>  O.K. I feel I must preface this with an acknowledgment that I *know*
>> this is a silly project *because* given the *incredibly* long uptimes
>> that FreeBSD is known for. >>But<< for those *few* times when FreeBSDers
>> see a boot screen, shouldn't it look really nice? Shouldn't also be able
>> to reflect the Administrators tastes and personality? Well, this is the
>> premise for my attempting this project. But before I start, I want to
>> submit an RFC. So consider this an Request for comments. This is an
>> attempt to create a Graphical boot screen that initially has the
>> following layout:
>
> If you want to pursue this project, more power to you! Personally, I
> always liked the non graphics/colors boot process. It's especially nice
> when you are running headless servers and monitor the boot process and
> console messages via serial links.

With 30+ servers, I do alot of that as well. But it has always bothered
me for some reason that Linux has always had their flashy boot screens.
While FBSD has not. It was sort of like Linux thumbing it's nose at me.
So, I felt like I'd like to start contributing to FBSD and this seemed
like an easy place to start. Later, something more advanced (and useful).

Thanks for the link! It should prove very useful.

Best wishes,
 Chris