Re: can't build kernel [with CONFIG this time][[[FIXED]]]

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:29:31 +1000
On Wed, 2005-Apr-27 19:27:20 -0700, /dev/null wrote:
>In my case I think it was just "sync" issues between the CPU cache and
>the RAM. Although it could have been just that this processor drove
>the RAM stick hard enough to make it fail. No matter, the stick of RAM is
>working flawlessly in a different box. :)

Modern hardware is pushed very close to the limits.  Maybe the RAM has
some pattern sensitivity that just happens to be hit by buildkernel or
buildworld.  Maybe a combination of marginal bypass capacitors,
marginal memory bus drivers means that the logic transition is a few
picoseconds longer than desirable if a large number of bits change
state simultaneously so that the transition isn't seen by the marginal
receiver.

--
Peter Jeremy