Re: boot banner project

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:52:58 +0200
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net> wrote:

>> Mounting File Systems ... [ok]
>> Starting xl0          ... [ok]
>
> This is something I've always found somewhat ironic, actually.  I'm
> not really sure overall whether I like it or not, but it IS very
> structured and consistent.  The irony is that I find the Linux kernel
> bootup messages to be an insane mishmash that I can never sort
> ANYTHING out of, relative to FreeBSD's very neat and structured kernel
> probes.  So maybe an OS is only allowed to be neat in one of the two
> 8-}

I think restructuring our userland boot message would be a good start. I'm
not talking about the above proposal, even if I think it's nice (but a
little bit too terse for me), I'm talking about rethinking the actual (since
the new rc system) clutter.

The 4.x startup looks structured (it could be improved to be more eye
friendly, but the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder), while the 5+ one
is neither fish nor meat. It's a mixture of the 4.x one with the "Starting
xyz" messages from the new system. Since we don't try to keep the new system
diff friendly with the NetBSD source anymore, I think we could change it to
fit our needs.

Bye,
Alexander.

--