Re: boot banner project

From: /dev/null <null_at_dnswatch.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:28:59 -0700 (PDT)
> "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net> wrote:
>
>>> Mounting File Systems ... [ok]
>>> Starting xl0          ... [ok]
>>
>> This is something I've always found somewhat ironic, actually.  I'm
>> not really sure overall whether I like it or not, but it IS very
>> structured and consistent.  The irony is that I find the Linux kernel
>> bootup messages to be an insane mishmash that I can never sort
>> ANYTHING out of, relative to FreeBSD's very neat and structured kernel
>> probes.  So maybe an OS is only allowed to be neat in one of the two
>> 8-}
>
> I think restructuring our userland boot message would be a good start. I'm
> not talking about the above proposal, even if I think it's nice (but a
> little bit too terse for me), I'm talking about rethinking the actual
> (since
> the new rc system) clutter.
>
> The 4.x startup looks structured (it could be improved to be more eye
> friendly, but the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder), while the 5+
> one
> is neither fish nor meat. It's a mixture of the 4.x one with the "Starting
> xyz" messages from the new system. Since we don't try to keep the new
> system
> diff friendly with the NetBSD source anymore, I think we could change it
> fit our needs.

Maybe this would be a better place for me to start
(assuming no objection(s)). I mean, it may turn out
the large majority of opinion is: boot-banner SUX! So
in either case; making what already exists more desirable/
funcional; seems the best place to start something. As
opposed to adding to something that might me better polished
up. What's more, I was thinking; what if the current settings
( verbose/ terse ) were expanded and prettified(stylized).
Example: 3 settings;

1) no output: black, or blank screen until the prompt/ login.

2) terse:
a) only dumps warnings
b) dumps item at succesful load, or else failure message as returned by
failed object.

3) verbose:
a) raw (pretty much the way it is now but unify/ sanitize the messages
returned - (4.x ify?))
b) prettified
(example(s):

mysql <loaded>

or

mysql <message returned upon load/ or load failure>)

both <loaded> or <message> *could* be colorized.

Anyway, it seems like this would be an opprotunity to unify/ bring
the current proccess up to date _and_ provide for a manner of display
that has something for everybody. Am I crazy? Probably, but that's
not the real question here. ;)

-Chris