Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Jonathan Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:10:31 -0500

On 04/28/05 03:47, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> pfgshield-freebsd_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> --- Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> You failed to tell which port you are talking about.
>>
>> Well.. I emailed phk about it and was ignored, the problem was
>> PR'd, and even when I have an ugly workaround for it, the specific
>> port (x11-toolkits/xview) was further broken by make changes. I
>> fixed that port before (not much fun), and while I can accept that
>> things may break, I find the "what I broke is not my problem"
>> attitude unacceptable.
>
> I agree.

I take it the PR is ports/75416.  x11-toolkits/xview does not have a
maintainer.  Pedro, why don't you take the maintainership?  It seems
you've already done the work; why not share it?  OS development is a
very dynamic process; in order to take 2 steps forward we often have to
take 1 step back.  Working through this requires patience and teamwork.
 Until you start contributing to the team, you may not receive the
attention you desire.

In any case, this issue appears to have never been resolved.  phk, back
in December you said you were investigating these ports
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-December/019038.html)?
 How goes it?

>>> We still have the XFree86-4 port, and AFAIK it still works
>>> (everything else is a bug). You just have to set a variable in
>>> make.conf to make it the default.
>>
>> Well.. while updating from 5.2.1 to 5.3 I esentially had to remove
>> all packages and install XFree86-4 (which is not in the ISO). I
>> decided it was easier to move to 4.11.
>
> From 5.2.1 to 4.11 you had to deinstall all packages too. And XF86-4 should
> ba available as a package, so no time needed to compile it. And the package
> is smaller than the source too... I think.

Yep, it is completely normal to have to reinstall all ports/packages
when updating from 5.2.1 to 5.3.  5.2.1 was not a STABLE release.  The
ABI was not frozen so compatibility-breaking changes were not
unexpected.  This was bullet 2 of the "Drawbacks to Early Adoption"
section of the "Early Adopter's Guide to FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE"
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/early-adopter.html#DRAWBACKS).
To keep XFree86-4, put "X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4" in /etc/make.conf and
everything will automagically use XFree86 instead of Xorg.

>>> It should work on 5.3-release too. At least there was an effort
>>> to get it working, and AFAIK they succeeded.
>>
>> hmm the diablo-jdk13 port says:
>>
>> .if ${OSVERSION} >= 502112
>> ECHO_MSG=    ${ECHO_CMD}
>> IGNORE=        does not run on FreeBSD >= 5.x
>> .endif
>
> Strange... I thought the libm issue was resolved.
>
> The linux JDKs work just fine BTW...

I was under the impression that the diablo-jdk13 port was just a tested,
binary version of the jdk13 port.  Perhaps I am wrong on that.  In any
case, I'm using both linux and native JDKs in production with no issues.

- --
Jonathan Noack | noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195