Re: junk after endif

From: Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt_at_dlr.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:54:16 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:

CR>in making the environment for my new sparc box, I'm building a new buildworld
CR>for the sparc, that that's giving me REAMS of useless errors about "junk at
CR>the end of the line", you know what it is from watching the error come up
CR>from cpp listings...except that these come from make, not from C code...
CR>having this come up in the situation I'm in, with zero (besides merely a
CR>KERNCONF) in the /etc/make.conf, then having this error come up so often it
CR>obscures the real listing is egregiously crazy.
CR>
CR>So, the fix falls into one of these categories:
CR>
CR>1) there is a magic incantation I don't know, and don't have time to hunt
CR>down, that kills this warning in make, and I need to know this, but that's
CR>not the fix ... the fix is (possibly) to make the default action that this is
CR>NOT a warning.
CR>
CR>2) I know that many folks like to do this to endif's, but it's an warning in
CR>C, and we should tell the folks who like it "tough" and take them out.
CR>
CR>However it's decided, to squish the warning or to squish the tags, it's
CR>unacceptable to leave those semantically useless warnings laying about,
CR>hiding real problems.

These warnings come only if you build with a /usr/share/mk which is not
up-to-date and an up-to-date make. (It may also be that you slipped with
your sources into the small window between the two commits).

As far as I can see this can legally happen only when building 5.4 or
earlier on a current box (I have committed the fix to /usr/share/mk in
RELENG_5, but cannot do this because this doesn't seem to fall under the
committable categories for RELENG_5_*).

harti