Re: incorrect statement on www page

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:14:06 -0400
Steve Ames wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:47:30AM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
>> You need to specify the (lots of stuff) better.
>> Because the following are found on my system.
>>
>>>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/hptmv/i386-elf.raid.o.uu
>>>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/dev/nve/i386/nvenetlib.o.bz2.uu
>
> Sure. But they aren't source. This is rather a sad discussion as 3rd party
> drivers really aren't part of the OS.

Agreed.  Third-party drivers under a proprietary license are not really part
of FreeBSD, although, if the license permits, FreeBSD can include the binary
objects into CVS and/or put them into the .ISO images for CDs.  Other
proprietary drivers have more onerous restrictions, and are handled via ports.

The current approach is more convenient for users, and I don't suggest
changing that.  However, I would not be unhappy if the documentation was
clarified, or if the HPT RAID driver was moved from src/sys/dev/ to
src/sys/contrib/dev/ to clearly indicate that it is contributed by a third party.

--
-Chuck