Re: boot banner project

From: David G. Lawrence <dg_at_dglawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:48:37 -0700
> > > I wouldn't count them out just yet! I still have a 7 year old 19" Sony
> > > Trinitron that is kicking butt, despite the fact that it has about 10
> > > battle scars from rolling around in a truck bed (don't ask). I haven't
> > > switched it with an LCD just because it still has better clarity and color
> > > quality than any LCD I've seen.
> > >

> > Yes! I couldn't agree more. I've been *enjoying* a 20" NEC Multisync XL
> > (is trinitron too) that inspite of being a 60Hz fixed freq. is *still*
> > clearer and provides more brilliant color than any LCD I've seen.
>
> The only reason you *think* your CRT looks better than the LCD is due to
> the misaligned LCD's on display at most stores.

   Actually, while it is true that most LCD panels are not adjusted
correctly, there are technology deficiencies in LCD as well. For one
thing, LCD has comparatively poor black level due to backlight leakage.
Also, while it is true that LCDs should always be connected using DVI
at the native resolution to avoid scaling and analog signal artifacts,
it is not true that this will make the color perfect. In addition to
the CIE colorspace (i.e. the color spectrum of the red, green, and blue
primaries) needing to be correct, the color of white/gray is also
critical. Most LCD panels don't have the necessary controls to adjust
this properly - they usually only have an adjustment for RGB gain, but
lack RGB offset and gamma controls. On the other hand, most CRTs also
lack user accessible controls for these settings.
   Personally, I haven't owned a CRT for nearly a decade. For computer
use, nothing beats the sharpness of a DVI-connected LCD. For television,
DLP projection is a better choice for black level and color accuracy.
   But what does any of this have to do with FreeBSD? :-)

-DG

David G. Lawrence
President
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (888) 346 7175
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.