Re: boot banner project

From: Stephen McKay <smckay_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:25:59 +1000
On Thursday, 28th April 2005, "Ryan Sommers" wrote:

>Michael Nottebrock said:
>> With CRTs on the retreat though, less and less people care about refresh
>> rates ... you'll probably join that camp at some point as well. :-)
>
>I wouldn't count them out just yet! I still have a 7 year old 19" Sony
>Trinitron that is kicking butt, despite the fact that it has about 10
>battle scars from rolling around in a truck bed (don't ask). I haven't
>switched it with an LCD just because it still has better clarity and color
>quality than any LCD I've seen.

Indeed!  I haven't found an LCD I can stand to look at.  I expect the screen
to look the same from any angle, and no LCD does that yet.  And the colour
reproduction.  Yuck!  Let's not even talk about stuck pixels...

Ahem.  So, if anyone is fiddling with graphical boots, please bear in mind
that VESA refresh rates of at least 75Hz (preferably 85Hz to 100Hz) are
still necessary.

Stephen.

PS My personal guess is that LCDs will be "good enough" in about 5 years.
Let's see if I'm still a CRT curmudgeon in 2010, picking through landfill
looking for working CRTs. :-)