Re: boot banner project

From: /dev/null <null_at_dnswatch.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:02:01 -0700 (PDT)
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:41:05AM -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
>>
>> 1) It is far from a stupid idea if even one person honestly feels it
>> would be a benefit.  No need to be abusive about it.
>
> Yes, I have to mention this was only my humble opinion.
>

>> 2) If I were to choose to work on FreeBSD, I would be free to work on
>> whatever I felt was lacking.  That's how it works.  Especially given
>> that I have nowhere near enough skill in C to work on more complex
>> system-level issues.
>
> Yes, you can do whatewer you want. But what about the result? I think
> several hundreds lines of lolypop-boot-related code will definitively
> NOT  bring FreeBSD more cleaness and design simpleness. And that's
> everyone likes in
> BSDs!

"And that's everyone likes in BSD's"
 WOW! Were you elected Official Spokesperson for everyone? ;)

>> 3) I was merely making suggestions as to what alternatives were
>> available.  Since almost every Linux distro does something similar to
>> this proposal, there is obviously SOME merit to it; the benefit may be
>> miniscule, or irrelevant to many people, but it still exists.
>>

> See my opinion above. It's a bad, BAD style, to add features till
> then they're really necessary and desirable. IMHO.

See my opinion of your deciding to decide my opinion above. ;)
I might also add that if it is *your* opinion that it should not be
added. Then I would suggest to you that you simply *not* add it to
your own installation. In short; an addon is simply that - an addon.
You don't like it? don't add it. :)

No "sour grapes" here. Just felt the need to chime in.

-Chris