Re: fontsize and dpi

From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 23:58:37 +0200
On Wednesday, 24. August 2005 15:31, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> > On Tuesday, 23. August 2005 15:52, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > > I haven't seen any cases recently where the DPI was set correctly
> > > by default.
> >
> > The key to DPMS-assisted dpi detection [...]
>
> DPMS has nothing to do with display size or resolution.

True, the proper set of capitals to use here would be DDC/EDID. Most, if not
all graphics card drivers in xorg now support the

Option "IgnoreEDID" <bool>

(to go into Section "Device") which implies that by default, they should use
EDID data for determining the display size / DPI. I'm pretty sure I'm not
completely imagining the requirement for the dpms option to make that
actually work though, but perhaps it's no longer the case, or it's another
one of those config parser bloopers.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org