Re: filesystem performance with lots of small files

From: Marian Hettwer <MH_at_kernel32.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:16:59 +0200
Hi Andre,

Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Marian Hettwer wrote:
>
>> Besides, I know that 6-BETA is not about performance at all :)
>>
>> any tips on file system performance with small files, though ?
>

> What is low performance for you?  Is it creating a new file, opening
> an existing file, reading from a file, etc?  What is your point of
> reference you compare to (FreeBSD 4.11, etc)?

I know that my eMail didn't contain any facts. My point of reference
will be FreeBSD 5.4 (shouldn't make a big difference in regards to UFS2,
right?) and probably a Gentoo Linux with ext3.
Again, my eMail was more about how to tune the performance of UFS2 with
tons of small files than a comparison to other release of FreeBSD, or
other BSD's (Open, Net) or Linux.

I do know that comparing different distributions will be quite hard.
That's not the point, yet :)

cheers,
Marian