Re: Application layer firewall on FreeBSD, is it possible ?

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:12:35 +0200
Hi,

[ this is not the correct list ask this kind of question, please use -net_at_ ]

> let me ask you for task "how to control p2p applications and their traffic
> with dynamic ports from user?s commputers on gateway".
>
> We are small wireless community and have shared access to internet for all
> members. Core members decided to control p2p traffic by default and to allow
> each person in individual way,
> after showing their knowledge of authorial low. :)
>
> But since many dc hubs, edonkey servers, bittorents web trackers and so on
> use dynamic not standard ports, how to control it ?
>
> Linux use l7-filter http://sourceforge.net/projects/l7-filter sourceforge
> freeware and , it is based on iptables, defination application protocols
> like ethereal project do.
>
> So, is there any way to do same application layer osi model firewall with
> FreeBSD gateway ?
>
> Of course, I tried to find on web, I have not been successful in searching
> so far.

No this is not possible and not indented to be someday.  See this
these messages for answers :

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-July/001227.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-July/001262.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-July/001287.html