Re: panic after removing usb flash drive

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:55:25 +0930
On Wednesday 31 August 2005 22:43, Eric Anderson wrote:
> This is where I think it would be great to have a sort of 'flashfs' -
> something like a UFS2 filesystem, but read only until a write happens,
> and all writes would be synchronous, and after the write occurs, the fs
> goes back to a 'read only' state.  Maybe this could be done with
> gjournal or even unionfs - mount the usb flash read only, do all writes
> to a memory backed disk, and then flush the writes out to the usb flash
> periodically.  Not perfect, but maybe this will stir some ideas up.

I think if you can differentiate behaviour for normal file systems based on
some information about the device then it would be good.

ie if it is a removable type device the default behaviour would be to disable
write caching and mount it synchronously. Coupled with a kernel that is
willing to throw away pages dirtied on such a volume you would be able to
readily hot plug a device without too much worry about data loss.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum