Re: Compaq ProLiant 1600 server freezes when detecting keyboard controller

From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman_at_seekingfire.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:12:30 -0600
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 09:32:58AM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 Craig wrote:
> > > I've seen this freeze on a couple of 1600s with 6.0-RELEASE.  Does this
> > > system have multiple processors?  If not, try changing the "OS Type"
> > > setting in the BIOS to "Other".  That fixed it for me.
>
> It is indeed a single processor system. I used the system utilities to
> change the system type to "Other", with no change in behaviour.
>
> I watched the boot closely this time and noticed that it complains about
> too many IRQ 0s and aborts the keyboard controller. I don't have the
> exact wording for this -- again, I don't have the serial console set up.
>
> I'll try the UnixWare setting next, though it's not an SMP kernel. I had
> been using the Linux setting, for no particular reason.
>
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 04:25:36AM +0000, Bill Paul wrote:
> > What you can also try, if the BIOS doesn't support this option, is
> > to break to the OK prompt in the boot loader and type:
> >
> > OK set hw.pci.enable_io_modes="0"
>
> I tried this next. With this set, it makes it past the keyboard
> controller, sc0, sio0, sio1 and vga0. Then the following line appears:
>
> RTC BIOS diagnostic error 29<config_unit,fixed_disk>
>
> Timecounter lines then appear, then IPsec, ipfe2, the delay for SCSI
> devices to settle, then:
>
> sym0: unable to abort current chip operation.
> sym0: suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
> sym0: dp1, d15-8,dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x0, expecting 0x100
> sym0: unable to abort current chip operation.
> sym1: suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
> sym1: dp1, d15-8,dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x0, expecting 0x100
>
> And there it hangs. The Aug 20 kernel doesn't show any SCSI bus errors.

The thread seemed to have died out so I thought I'd try to resurrect it
-- I'm still unable to use newer kernel builds, and that's making using
the pf userland a trifle difficult ;-)

What would be helpful information to have to aid in troubleshooting
this?

Thanks,

-T

--
"If you do not feel yourself growing in your work and your life
 broadening and deepening, if your task is not a perpetual tonic to you,