Re: 6.0-STABLE buildworld (possibly) broken ?

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 04:56:39 +1100
On Thu, 2005-Dec-01 13:30:03 +0200, Iasen Kostov wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 07:35 +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>> If so, the chances are simply that your date/time is set wrong,
>> or there are files in the source tree (check with find(1)) that
>> have modification time pointing to the future.
>I wander if there is a way to save somewhere in the tree the time of
>last modification(commit) and then in the Makefile to check if it is not
>in the future and if it is to fail with proper message maybe if it is
>possible it will save some wall-head-hitting and time too :).

This problem seems to come up fairly regularly.  How about adding a
check into make(1) so that if a dependency has a date in the future,
make dies with more intuitive error?  It would probably reduce the
number of these questions if you got an error message like:
"foo.c was created in the future.  Check your system date/time."

IMHO, that's a lot more obvious than:
"/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc"
or
"... touch not found ..."

--
Peter Jeremy