Re: BSDInstaller Beta 2 release

From: Andrew Turner <andrew_at_fubar.geek.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:48:39 +1300
Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

>>As with the previous Beta release there are three virtual consoles available:
>>* ttyv0: The frontend
>>* ttyv1: The backend
>>* ttyv2: A standard login screen to login as root with no password
>>

>I can't currently test this, so I'm asking: Is ttyv2 running a full live
>system with reasonable $PATH variable? In other words, can I run dd,
>fdisk, bsdlabel (including vi), newfs, tar/cp/cpio from inside this
>shell?

Yes, it is what you would get by installing just the base distribution.
The installer uses fdisk, bsdlabel, newfs, tar and others in the
installation process.

>And: Would it thus be possible to use dump(8) from the mounted live-CD and
>restore(8) the system to the local hard disk.

You could use dump and restore as the CD contains both tools. The only
problem would be if you don't have enough memory as there is no swap
until part way through the install.

Andrew