Re: BSDInstaller Beta 2 release

From: Marius N_nnerich <marius.nuennerich_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:02:21 +0100
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:39:03 +1300
Andrew Turner <andrew_at_fubar.geek.nz> wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the second release of FreeBSD install CD's
> based on the BSD Installer.

Hi,

thanks for your work.

I did a quick test and found that

* I can deselect every distribution and accept that "selection",
  this obviously didn't work to install. I think there should at
  least be a hint that base is required.

* The window to select the distributions is called "Select Packages"

* /README is missing

* kern.geom.debugflags is set to 16. Is this to allow to manipulate
  slice and partition information while the disk is mounted? If so,
  isn't there a better way (mounting the disk after editing those
  tables)?

* The ISO should imo contain a portsnap snapshot and not only
  ports.tgz

* Maybe for src the appropriate checkouts file for cvsup

* fdisk and bsdlabel are called very often?!

* Did I miss where to install the standard MBR instead of the menu one?

* The selected keymap is not written to /etc/rc.conf of the new system?

So far I like the Installer.
Maybe one day someone integrates a graphical frontend
for the installer (eg. like desktopbsd) :)

regards
Marius