Re: BSDInstaller Beta 2 release

From: Andrew Turner <andrew_at_fubar.geek.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:05:44 +1300
Marius N_nnerich wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:39:03 +1300
>Andrew Turner <andrew_at_fubar.geek.nz> wrote:
>

>>I am pleased to announce the second release of FreeBSD install CD's
>>based on the BSD Installer.
>>

>Hi,
>
>thanks for your work.
>
>I did a quick test and found that
>
>* I can deselect every distribution and accept that "selection",
>  this obviously didn't work to install. I think there should at
>  least be a hint that base is required.

Thanks, I've added a note pointing out base is important.

>* The window to select the distributions is called "Select Packages"

Corrected the name.

>* /README is missing
>
>* kern.geom.debugflags is set to 16. Is this to allow to manipulate
>  slice and partition information while the disk is mounted? If so,
>  isn't there a better way (mounting the disk after editing those
>  tables)?

I needed it to install the mbr but dosn't appear to be needed anymore.

>* The ISO should imo contain a portsnap snapshot and not only
>  ports.tgz

I will when it is availiable in the release Makefile as it is outside
the scope of this.

>* Maybe for src the appropriate checkouts file for cvsup
>
>* fdisk and bsdlabel are called very often?!

Talk to the main BSDInstaller developers about that.

>* Did I miss where to install the standard MBR instead of the menu one?

No, there is currently no way of doing it.

>* The selected keymap is not written to /etc/rc.conf of the new system?

I'll look into it.

>So far I like the Installer.
>Maybe one day someone integrates a graphical frontend
>for the installer (eg. like desktopbsd) :)

As the frontend and backend are seperate processes it is possible to
write a graphical frontend.