Re: XFS (read-only) support committed to CURRENT

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:15:17 +0100
Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org> writes:

> Read-only XFS support has been committed to FreeBSD-CURRENT.
> Write access to XFS is not supported at this time.
> The XFS for FreeBSD source code is based off of GPL'd sources
> provided by SGI.

Hm. Does this mean that FreeBSD's XFS implementation is GPL'd like
ext2fs is? If so, allow me a question why XFS was chosen in preference
to ext3fs?

Ext3fs appears to have some advantages, easy migration from and to
ext2fs, shrinkable, data journalling, data ordering (write data blocks
before the file metadata is written) and so on.

I don't mean this should become an advocacy discussion, as XFS surely
has advantages, too, real-time capability and so on - but ext2fs is
already there and has write support.

Just curious.

--
Matthias Andree