Re: "Native" journaling file systems?

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:44:05 +1100
On Tue, 2005-Dec-20 08:07:46 +0800, David Xu wrote:
>I am curious why nobody picks up the BSD lfs ? the UFS background fsck
>sucks us too bad, sigh.

As Martin pointed out, LFS sounds good in theory but turns out not to
be that good in practice.  That said, there's nothing stopping someone
pulling sys/ufs/lfs out of the Attic.  The retirement comment states
that it was suffering from bitrot even before 3.0 so there's probably
a non-trivial amount of work needed to get it going again.  On the
positive side, many of the people who worked on it are still around so
anyone wanting to resurrect it could probably find reviewers who knew
the code.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the effort applied to getting journalling
to work with UFS2.

--
Peter Jeremy