Re: fetch extension - use local filename from content-disposition header

From: Andrea Campi <andrea+freebsd_current_at_webcom.it>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:53:19 +0100
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 09:36:50AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Not if you, as a naive user, take a freshly installed system and an
> unmodified environment.  You'll need to make a bunch of changes
> before everything will run smoothly:
>
>   * Make /usr/ports/distfiles writable by user or set $DISTDIR to
>     a writable directory

Right...

>   * Make /var/db/ports writable by user or set $PORT_DBDIR to a
>     writable location

Eww...

>   * Make each port directory writable -- so the the 'work' directories
>     can be created -- or set $WRKDIRPREFIX to a writable location.

Right...

> And in fact, if you go on to do the same deal with $PKG_DBDIR and $PREFIX
> plus set $INSTALL_AS_USER then you can install most ports entirely as a
> mortal user -- the exceptions being ports that want to run mtree(8) or that
> need to install programs with specific UID or GIDs.

Well, this MIGHT work for a single user system, but it's hackish and really
dangerous...

> Not setting $INSTALL_AS_USER means you'll be prompted to supply the root
> password where needed at install time.

Not if you use sudo. The ports mk have a know to specify what to use in
place of su, and it works nicely. Now you get prompter only when the (user
configurable) timeout expires. Much, much better.

I'd even go so far as suggesting sudo in the base system, since it's the
first thing many people install from ports AND it's such a pain to upgrade
using portupgrade...

Bye,
	Andrea

--