Re: sudo in basesystem (was: fetch extension - use local filenamefrom content-disposition header)

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:00:36 -0700
Andrea Campi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 01:14:32PM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>
>>From: Andrea Campi
>>
>>>Well, try using sudo (portupgrade -s) to install sudo... ;-)
>>>All goes well until portupgrade deinstalls the old version,
>>>then tries to use sudo to "make install" sudo ;-)
>>
>>Have you ever tried using portupgrade to upgrade portupgrade?  Someone
>>should fix portupgrade so it can still be used after deinstalling itself.
>>;-)
>

> Right, that's the other half of the issue ;-)
>
> We could just ship portupgrade in the base system...
>
> /me ducks and runs
>
> bye,
> 	Andrea

I know that you are joking, but I'd like to nip this in the bud before
others try to take you seriously.  I think that portupgrade is an
excellent tool, but making it part of the base system means making Ruby
part of the base system.  Once we do that then we are back with the same
problem that we had with Perl.  Who maintains it?  Which do we import,
Ruby 1.6 or 1.8?  What happens when 1.8 becomes obsolete and users want
to install something newer?  We struggled with this with Perl, and we
frankly are better off learning the lesson there.  Now, if portupgrade
were written in C or even C++, it would be a no-brainer to import.  Not
that I like/dislike Ruby, it's just a quickly moving target due to its
immaturity, just like Python and Eiffel and all those other hip new
languages are.

Scott