Re: unmount of /dev failed

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:12:25 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Niclas Zeising wrote:

> I am using current as of yesterday (20050201) morning CET (around 0800 i
> think). When I shutdown or reboot my system (shutdown -[h,r] now) it
> runs through the shut down sequence as usual, but right before it is
> rebooting or the message about the shutdown complete comes up, when
> unmouning dev, it complains about "unmount of /dev failed (BUSY)" before
> shutting down as usual.  Is this a bug, and if so, common or known? Or
> am I just being stupid somewhere and all is my fault? Just let me know
> if I need to provide more information.

I'm guessing this started occuring because phk changed devfs not to permit
forceable unmount due to some nasty issues involved (devfs_vfsops.c:1.41).
And, for some reason, we presumably have a lingering reference to devfs --
perhaps the root file system mounted from a devfs vnode, another feature
introduced recently?  It's probably non-harmful, but probably also should
be fixed by properly unwinding and unmounting devfs at the right moment in
the shutdown to reflect changes in the boot order.

Robert N M Watson