Re: New cpufreq framework and drivers

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:03:47 -0800
Colin Percival wrote:
> Nate Lawson wrote:
>
>> Hardware drivers are of two types, absolute
>> and relative.  SpeedStep, Powernow, etc. are absolute drivers in that
>> they set the cpu's base frequency.  ACPI throttling, Longrun, etc. are
>> relative drivers that reduce the processor's clock to a fraction of
>> its current base (i.e., they have an additive effect.)
>

> If my first glance at the patch is correct, this would have my laptop (a
> 1.4GHz
> Pentium M) reporting the availability of the frequencies 600MHz, 800MHz,
> etc.
> from enhanced speedstep, along with the frequencies 300MHz, 400MHz,
> 500MHz, and
> 700MHz obtained via 50% clock throttling.

That is correct.  The code to support relative drivers was removed
before posting to give the basic framework more testing before I commit
it shortly.  The relative support will go in soon after that code is
committed.

There are a lot of nuances that you'll see when I post the relative
states patch.  For instance, if a state has the same frequency of
another state, the one with the lower power consumption is preferred.

> While this in itself is entirely valid, a clock speed of 700MHz obtained by
> running the processor at 1400MHz with a 50% "duty cycle" would draw more
> power
> than a clock speed of 800MHz obtained by running the processor at 800MHz
> with
> a lower voltage; is there any mechanism to inform userland daemons of such
> oddities?  I would hate to see a daemon lowering the clock speed from
> 800MHz
> to 700MHz in an attempt to save power...

If you look at the kernel interface (sys/sys/cpu.h, struct cf_setting),
you'll see that frequency, power, latency, and other values are
available.  The user sysctl interface exports frequency/power values as
follows:

dev.cpu.0.freq=733
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels=1000/18200 733/15100

That is Mhz and mW, respectively.  With synthetic states (ones derived
from a base absolute frequency and a modifying relative frequency), the
cpufreq framework builds a power estimate.  For example, a level
comprised of 1400 Mhz at 20000 mW and a 50% relative setting would have
an exported power of 10000 mW since relative drivers give a linear
reduction in power consumption.  Your absolute setting of 800 Mhz would
likely have a lower power level and so any daemon should take that into
consideration.

--
Nate