Re: WEP Encryption Changes

From: Tai-hwa Liang <avatar_at_mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:31:39 +0800 (CST)
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:14 -0600, Ryan Sommers wrote:
>> I recently (Jan 17) updated my laptop to the latest current. The last
>> update was in November. After the latest update my WEP wireless stopped
>> working. After playing with it. It appears something is amiss in the Tx
>> key for me. I'm able to see broadcast packets coming over the wap just
>> fine. They don't appear to be corrupt. However, nothing from the laptop
>> gets to the wap. I'm wondering if Sam's update of sys/net80211 back in
>> December might be the culprit.
>>
>> One thing I did notice was the new deftxkey option in ifconfig. I
>> attempted to set this to 1 (to use the first and only key), didn't help.
>>
>> What all would I need to roll back to reverse these changes? Just
>> sys/net80211 or would I need to hit sys/dev/wi also?
>>
>> Are there any better tools besides another wireless card (only have one
>> unfortunately) to debug the frames? tcpdump seems to only get me so far.
>>
>> For the record this is a Lucent embedded WaveLAN (Dell Trumobile 1150)
>> firmware 8.10.1.
>>
> I remember having to add 'weptxkey 1' to the ifconfig line when these
> changes went in.
>
> As far as tools -- I was using /usr/src/tools/tools/ath/80211debug but,
> since I had Atheros card then, I could not vouch for its applicability
> in your case.

   I can have my if_wi(Thinkpad R40 builtin Actiontec, firmware 1.1.1/1.7.2)
associated with a WEP enabled BSS with following command(assume that key 3
is the default key configured on the AP):

 	ifconfig wi0 ssid my_ssid wepmode on wepkey 3:12345 deftxkey 3 up

   It's a -CURRENT cvsup'ed on Jan-28-2005. Setting the default TX key
with "deftxkey" did the trick for me.

--
Cheers,

Tai-hwa Liang