Re: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

From: Frode Nordahl <frode_at_nordahl.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:01:48 +0100
On Feb 5, 2005, at 22:31, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Frode Nordahl wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2005, at 21:52, Søren Schmidt wrote:
>>> ATA-mkIII first official snapshot.
>> # atacontrol status ar0
>> atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDSTATUS): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> # atacontrol rebuild ar0
>> atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDREBUILD): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> I tried to copy in sys/sys/ata.h to /usr/include/sys/ and rebuild
>> atacontrol as well.
>
> Those ioctl's are not supported yet. As stated ataraid can only read
> the metadata so far, not write them. I didn't implement the status
> ioctl as its part of the interface to write metadata (ie create
> arrays), and I havn't made up my mind yet on that...

I actually have a system with a failed drive in it now. :-)

Whenever the erronous parts of the disk is  read, it properly takes the
disk out of service and tells about the raid being degraded.

However if I reboot, the drive with errors is back in business and used
as master of the array.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I guess we at least need
limited support for metadata write so we can tell the "controller", and
ourselves about the state of our disks.

I hope you will retain the online rebuild feature when this is done?

I can live without support for configuring RAIDs, but online rebuild
would be tough to be without. Having to go to BIOS for rebuild and wait
for an hour before the system can be online again is a nightmare :-)

Or do you think this is a job for vendor supplied management tools?

Regards,
Frode Nordahl