Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands_at_mypost.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:26:56 +0100
> Both operating systems do certain tasks better than each other, and both
> still have bugs.

Well from  dumb user perspective I dont really give a toss what Chritos has
to say about FreeBSD or NetBSD and I really hope the developers don't
waste any time or effort on a flame war over it.

I have had such a miserable time with 5.3 that I have stopped testing with it.

Geom (in its gstripe invocation) and vinum have both died on me repeatedly.
The disk performance compared to 4.11 on the same hardware is atrocious.

I have championed FreeBSD and got it adopted for various purposes
 at a number of major clients but I wouldn't  dare recommend 5.3.

I'm just happy 4.11 will be around for a few more years by which time
hopefully the 5 or 6 branch may have matured into something usable.