Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Andy Firman <andy_at_firman.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 05:40:32 -0900
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:26:56PM +0100, Mark Rowlands wrote:

> > Both operating systems do certain tasks better than each other, and both
> > still have bugs.
>
> Well from  dumb user perspective I dont really give a toss what Chritos has
> to say about FreeBSD or NetBSD and I really hope the developers don't
> waste any time or effort on a flame war over it.
>
> I have had such a miserable time with 5.3 that I have stopped testing with it.
>
> Geom (in its gstripe invocation) and vinum have both died on me repeatedly.
> The disk performance compared to 4.11 on the same hardware is atrocious.
>
> I have championed FreeBSD and got it adopted for various purposes
>  at a number of major clients but I wouldn't  dare recommend 5.3.

Your comments are disturbing.  I run a few 4.10 servers and am getting ready
for a couple new ones and would like to go with 5.3 stable.

Then I ran across this article:
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/14/1518217
which doesn't really go into detail, so I don't really trust the article.

For a small web/email/database server on i386, using GEOM Mirror,
( http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/ )
everything should be fine right???
I am moving from Linux to FreeBSD as much as possible,
but am very confused about whether or not to use 5.3 !