Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman_at_seekingfire.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:53:00 -0600
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 05:40:32AM -0900, Andy Firman wrote:
> I am moving from Linux to FreeBSD as much as possible,
> but am very confused about whether or not to use 5.3 !

FWIW, I've moved all but a single host to either -stable or -current
(the sparc64 box) and, with one exception[1], it's all worked great. I
don't run loads where a small performance difference is critical so I
haven't even bothered to measure for that -- and if I did, I'd buy more
hardware if necessary just to get administrator-friendly features like
rcNG.

I upgraded with the "build a new box, copy the data over, and swap it
in" method. I didn't try upgrade in-service hosts, that just seemed like
more trouble than it was worth. The single remaining 4.X box I have
feels somewhat ... antique ... by comparison the the other boxes.

-T

1. MIT `rsh` no longer works properly in my Kerberos environment. This
   is important because the rsh from the base OS is not kerberized.
   Luckily, it's not critical for me yet. Details at
   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-December/018452.html

--
Page 12: Unix is a set of tools for smart people.
	- Harley Hahn, _The Unix Companion_