RE: The case for FreeBSD

From: Seth Kingry <seth.kingry_at_natnet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 01:40:17 -0500
Working for a large hosting company, one of the things we enjoy about FBSD
is that all we need to install/fix a system is three floppy disks (two on a
4.X system).  Most of our servers do not have CD-ROMs, nor would they, as it
is an added expense to the servers that would rarely be used.

The current sysinstall allows us to script an install of FBSD to the point
where all we have to do is enter an admin password and IP/Hostname, and the
rest is done in the background.

I can understand how having sysinstall revamped to something more along the
lines of an installer from one of the 'fancier' distros of Linux (Redhat,
Mandrake, etc.) in order to get FBSD 'out to the masses;, but I don't think
that is the purpose behind this OS.  I see this OS as a stable incarnation
of UNIX, tried and true, made for admins.  We understand that and that is
why we use it as one of our default OS's (Our others are Debian and Slack,
both of which don't have pretty installers either.)

Just my two cents.

--Seth Kingry, NatNet--