Re: MySQL benchmarks

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:45:16 -0700
Jon Noack wrote:

> On 02/09/05 13:59, Miguel Mendez wrote:
>
>> Someone has posted a link to a newsforge article on the NetBSD lists
>> that benchmarks MySQL performance on several systems, you can see it at:
>>
>> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/27/1243207&from=rss
>>
>> I don't know how much Linux-specific code there is in MySQL because,
>> honestly, I always try to avoid it and go with PostgreSQL, but perhaps
>> somebody with more MySQL-fu can fill in the blanks and confirm that the
>> better performance seen on Linux systems is due to how the software is
>> designed and not so much related to FreeBSD per se.
>

> The scalability results look promising.  Also, has anyone seen what
> effect WITH_PROC_SCOPE_PTH has on performance?
>
> Jon

It's a mixed bag that has been in significant flux over the past 8
months due to threading and scheduling infrastructure sometimes fixing
bugs and sometimes introducing new bugs.  On the mysql SuperSmack test,
the best results I found on a dual 3GHz Xeon were with system scope
threads under libpthread.  libthr was a close second (though all threads
there are process scope by definition) and process scope libpthread was
almost as bad as libc_r.  However, that was back in August, and I think
that much has changed since then.  Other, non-mysql tests that I've run
recently have shown that process scope libpthread is now the overall
winner.  It would be nice to come up with a new matrix of results based
on scheduler, preemption, thread library, and thread attributes.  Now if
only I had the 2 days free to do that...

Scott